A serious car accident can dramatically change a person’s life as well as the lives of their family members and loved ones. Not only does a major crash cause substantial injuries that can have lifelong implications, but the financial turmoil of a wreck can cause years of struggle for a family. If you’ve been in a serious collision in central Pennsylvania and feel that an insurance company is treating your case unfairly or that you’re being wrongfully placed at fault, you may have legal options. A Danville car accident lawyer from Stapp Law, LLC can protect your rights.
By filing a lawsuit against a driver who was negligent or careless or another party that was responsible for the collision, you may be able to receive financial compensation that can go toward medical bills, recovery costs, loss of wage costs, pain and suffering costs, and more. Additionally, you’ll be holding the guilty party accountable for the actions caused an accident. Someone who is held accountable for driving behind the wheel while intoxicated, for example, is more likely to never drink and drive again.
Before we go over how our law firm may be able to help, let’s go over some facts about car accidents:
Pennsylvania Car Accident Facts
In 2018, there were over 128,400 car crashes in Pennsylvania. In those crashes, 1,190 fatalities occurred as well as 78,129 injuries.
Among the fatalities, alcohol was a factor in 331 of the crashes where someone passed away. Speeding was a factor in 280 fatalities. Speeding and alcohol consumption are both factors that are entirely preventable.
Here are some of the most common reasons car accidents happen in Pennsylvania and across the United States:
- Distracted driving, whether it’s being distracted by another person or by a phone, such as when texting
- Disobeying traffic signs and the rules of traffic
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Fatigued driving
- Age or inexperience
- Defective auto parts
Most of the above causes are preventable and caused by human error. In fact, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that 94% of all car accidents are caused by driver error. If drivers prioritized driving safely, adhering to the traffic laws and the conditions of the road when behind the wheel, and abstained from driving recklessly, carelessly, or when under the effects of alcohol, fewer collisions would happen. This is a simple fact.
Common Car Crash Injuries
A car accident can result in a wide variety of types of injuries. The injuries that result depend on the nature of the crash itself, including factors like speed, the weight of both vehicles, and the type of accident that happened. A rear-end crash may cause victims to suffer from different injuries than someone involved in a sideswipe accident, for example. Here are just some of the injuries that commonly occur after a collision:
- Lacerations and bruises
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries and bleeding
- Head injuries, which may include traumatic brain injuries
- Back and spine injuries, which may include spinal cord injuries
- Nerve damage
- Emotional trauma which can cause anxiety, depression, and even PTSD
It’s important to get the medical care you need immediately following a wreck. Even if you think your injuries are minor or you are not in any pain, it’s vital to call 911 right after an accident so you can get assessed by emergency medical personnel. Pain can sometimes be masked by the adrenaline of a traumatic experience like being in a car accident.
Be sure to follow any medical advice you receive and follow up with any recommended specialists to maximize your recovery. If you decide to file a legal claim, it’s also imperative that you follow the advice of your doctors and medical team to have a successful claim.
How a Danville, PA Car Accident Lawyer Can Help
At Stapp Law, LLC, you will get our personal attention every step of the way if you decide to let us represent you. If you decide to file a personal injury claim against a driver who was negligent or otherwise careless or reckless, you may be able to receive compensation that can go toward the following damages, or costs:
- Economic Damages. These are the monetary losses you’ve suffered from the actual accident, including the damage your vehicle sustained and the costs of your injuries, including bills for hospital stays, doctor’s visits, any physical therapy or specialists, at-home care, equipment, and medication. Compensation for lost wages for the time you’ve had to take off work is also included. If you’re a loved one of someone who lost their life in a crash, this would include funeral and burial costs as well.
- Noneconomic Damages. These are losses you’ve suffered from that are non-monetary and more difficult to quantify, but still calculable. They can include things like the costs of pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment and normal life activities, loss of function, mental anguish, and disfigurement. These types of damages can be very difficult to calculate, but an experienced attorney will know how to do so with the help of medical and accident reconstruction experts.
In addition to compensation, an experienced attorney can give you and your family peace of mind and help you make the recovery process and the process of moving forward easier. At Stapp Law, LLC, we are committed to helping each of our clients in every way we can, whether they need help with finding local medical specialists, getting an insurance adjuster off their back, or dealing with creditors or employers.
We have over 20 years of experience handling car accident cases in central Pennsylvania, including Danville, and will not hesitate to take your case all the way to court if necessary to ensure your rights are protected and that the guilty party is held accountable. To learn how we can potentially help, get in touch with a car accident attorney from our law firm today.