Suffering an unexpected injury is a life-altering experience. Whereas before your accident, you might have been able to do things like work, take your kids to and from school, and engage in your favorite hobbies, you are now severely limited in your capacity to enjoy life the same way.
If another person’s negligent or reckless behavior caused your injuries, you might be able to recover financial compensation by filing a personal injury lawsuit. Any settlement you receive may cover your medical bills and lost income, and in some cases pain and suffering.
At Stapp Law, LLC, we understand that successfully navigating a personal injury lawsuit on your own can be a challenge. Our Williamsport, PA personal injury lawyers have helped guide countless injury victims through some of the most vulnerable times in their lives.
Why You Might File a Personal Injury Lawsuit
No matter how carefully you proceed through life, it is impossible to avoid those who act without regard to the safety or health of others. A personal injury lawsuit is intended to help victims recover necessary compensation if they were hurt by another person’s negligence or intentional wrongdoing. In some personal injury claims, strict liability can even be a factor.
The end goal of a personal injury claim is typically to secure compensation. The reality is that suffering an injury is often an expensive, time-consuming, and emotionally draining matter. If you can’t work, can’t afford your medical bills, and have otherwise lost joy in your life because of an injury, that compensation can be an invaluable asset.
Say you are out of work because of a car accident. Without a paycheck, you’ll struggle to cover things like your rent or mortgage and new medical bills that are quickly starting to pile up. Compensation from a personal injury claim is designed to address these types of damages, allowing you to focus on your own recovery and well-being.
How To Select the Right Personal Injury Lawyer
Your search for a personal injury lawyer will depend on the type of incident or injury you are dealing with. Some lawyers only specialize in motor vehicle accidents, while others have a broader scope.
Before working with a lawyer, make sure they have the knowledge and experience to handle your specific type of injury case. A few examples of specific injury claims for which you might want to work with a more experienced attorney include:
- Auto accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Dangerous or defective products
- Medical malpractice
- Work injuries not covered by workers’ compensation
- Nursing home abuse
- Wrongful death
Where To Find a Personal Injury Lawyer
Finding the right personal injury lawyer to work with is not always easy, especially if you are already dealing with the aftermath of an accident in which you were seriously hurt. If you’re not sure where to start, consider some of the following:
- Look online: Most people perform a cursory internet search when looking for information on anything. This approach can be a good place to search for a personal injury lawyer. Be sure to include specific wording in your search to yield the best possible results, including your location and the type of injury case. For example, searching “Williamsport car accident personal injury lawyer” might yield better results than just looking up “injury lawyer.”
- Explore lawyer’s websites: Take some time to explore when you find a lawyer’s webpage. See if they discuss your type of personal injury case anywhere on their site and if it mentions how to get in contact with them.
- Check reviews: While online, you can also read reviews from others who have used the same law firm. Look specifically at reviews from clients with similar cases to your own. Online reviews are not necessarily the most accurate place to find information, though, so be sure to consider these with a grain of salt.
- Talk with people in your life: If you are wary of starting your search for a personal injury lawyer online, reach out to your friends, family, and coworkers instead. This approach can be particularly helpful if any of them have used a lawyer for a personal injury case before. Even if none of them have been involved in such a case, they might know someone who has. They might be able to provide you with recommendations.
What To Ask When Meeting a Lawyer
Many personal injury law firms offer free consultations or case evaluations. This option provides you with a great opportunity to speak with an actual attorney about your case. It can also help you decide whether the lawyer is someone you’d like to work with.
Try to focus on how you feel during the consultation. Do you feel comfortable talking to this person? Keep in mind that you will be discussing sensitive matters, including the circumstances of your injuries. It’s completely normal to feel nervous during this process, but that is different from being uncomfortable around someone.
You can also ask questions when first meeting a personal injury lawyer. If you’re not sure where to start, here are a few questions to get the conversation going:
- How long have you been in practice?
- Do you handle cases like mine often?
- Do you have experience dealing with insurance companies?
- How successful have your past personal injury claims been?
- How do you structure your case fees?
- How and when can I contact you?
A lawyer should have no problem answering these and any other questions you might have. Be sure to have paper and pen or your favorite note-taking app ready. It can be hard to recall an attorney’s answers to these questions, so writing everything down is helpful.
These written notes can also come in handy if you meet with multiple lawyers and have trouble deciding on one.
Our Personal Injury Lawyers Work Hard for You
If you were injured because of another person’s negligent, reckless, or harmful behavior, you might be struggling to keep your life on track. Maybe you already know that you need help but just aren’t sure where or how to find it.
At Stapp Law, LLC, we prioritize our clients and their needs. A Williamsport personal injury lawyer will work tirelessly to help you determine fault, calculate the value of your claim, and provide unparalleled guidance throughout the entire process.
You can learn more about our approach to personal injury claims by contacting us for a confidential case evaluation.